Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Connectivism Mindmap


Reflection
  • How has your network changed the way you learn?

The increased connections in my own learning map have changed the way I learn new information or skills. Increased access to information has allowed me the opportunity to search for answers on my own before seeking answers from other people. When I do choose to ask someone else it is much easier and faster to contact experts.
  • Which digital tools best facilitate learning for you?

The most valuable digital tool is the one which is designed to meet the current need or desire. When it is necessary to learn information specific to Private Christian Schools then my first choice would be to utilize the Association of Christian School International’s ConNEXUS community. If the goal is to obtain the current research on relevant educational theory then the Walden Library resources would be the best option. Each other piece of the map has its own unique benefits and appropriate situations for use.
  • How do you learn new knowledge when you have questions?

The best way for me to learn knowledge is to create an outline or structural framework in which this new knowledge can be applied to real world situations. To create this structure I will first begin by searching static resources such as discussion boards, library databases, and general Google searches. As I begin to create a working application of the new knowledge I may seek assistance from technologically connected acquaintances. However, this is usually a last resort that would only be used if I am unable to search for the answer on my own.

5 comments:

  1. When I completed my studies in library media one of the most important lessons I learned was how to search. Boolean phrases and combinations of words often affect the results from search engines. Typically I change or modify simple searches based on the lessons from that research class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joshua,

    Thanks for the information on the Christian School International’s ConNEXUS community. I'll have to do some research.

    Having university library access like Walden is a key reason why I'll probably be in school until I can't see anymore. I like having quality network based resources that I can open and learn. Although I think wikis and blogs provide good information, I don't think they are as authoritative or regulated/validated...yet.

    Have a great weekend.

    Jerry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joshua,

    You did a great job with your mind map. Which software did you use? In your blog you said, "The increased connections in my own learning map have changed the way I learn new information or skills". I totally agree with this statement. After completing my mind map I was able to identify characterisitc within myself.

    Yolandria Petty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason I did not receive a notification for your comment. I apologize for the late response. I used Microsoft Word to create the mind map. The SmartArt feature allows you to create a variety of graphical models.

      Delete
  4. Joshua,

    I agree that in order to learn, the information has to be pertinent and meaningful to one. If it is not, it may be latent for certain time. However, when information is meaningful and useful, it will remain with the learner. I am glad that you did not eliminate asking experts and not just running to Google for answers.

    Yahira

    ReplyDelete